When it comes to puncture proofing your commercial tyres, there are a few things you need to take into account. You have many factors to consider when making an informed decision to purchase puncture proof commercial tyres for your fleet. Or, to get aftermarket puncture proofing for your commercial tyres.
The Advantages Of Puncture Proofing Commercial Tyres
There are a many very good benefits to puncture proofing your commercial tyres, like:
- Reduced Downtime - one of the biggest advantages of puncture proofing your tyres is that it reduces downtime. This is because when you have a puncture, you don't have to waste time changing the tyre, you can simply continue on your journey. This can be a huge advantage for businesses that rely on their vehicles to get from A to B.
- Extends The Life Of Your Tyres - Punctures are one of the leading causes of tyre damage and premature wear. By preventing punctures or ensuring that any punctures are sealed off until professional tyre assistance is available, you can get more mileage out of your tyres before they need to be replaced.
Additionally, properly inflated tyres tend to last longer than those that are constantly under- or over-inflated.
- Improved Fuel Efficiency - another advantage of puncture proofing your commercial tyres is that it can improve fuel efficiency. This is because when a tyre is correctly inflated, it has less rolling resistance, which means it takes less energy (and fuel) to move your commercial vehicle forwards. Which means your engine doesn’t have to work as hard. This leads to fuel saving which in turn results in significant savings over time, particularly for businesses that cover large distances.
- Enhanced Safety - another benefit of puncture proofing your tyres is enhanced safety. This is because when a tyre is correctly inflated, it has better grip on the road. A better tyre grip helps prevent accidents on the road.
When a tyre is punctured, it can lose air quickly. And if you are driving on an under-inflated or flat tyre, you are in danger of losing control over your commercial vehicle and getting into a serious accident., Puncture proofing helps to prevent flats from happening and you can help keep yourself and others safe on the road.
The Disadvantages Of Puncture Proofing Commercial Tyres
Unfortunately, getting puncture proofing or purchasing new tyres (with puncture proofing already built in) does have a few advantages, like:
- Initial Cost - one of the main drawbacks of puncture proofing your tyres is the initial cost. If you have a large fleet of vehicles, this can add up quickly. And it can be quite expensive to purchase new tyres with puncture proofing for the whole fleet.
If you take the other route and have all of your tyres puncture proofed by tyre specialists, it can be costly as well. Depending on the size and type of commercial tyres you need, puncture proofing can add a hefty amount on top of that.
However, this cost should be considered as an investment, as it will save you money in the long run by reducing downtime and improving fuel efficiency. Factor in the cost of replacing tyres prematurely or getting into an accident, and puncture proofing may actually save you money.
- Limited Choice Of Products - another disadvantage of puncture proofing your tyres is that there are limited products on the market at the present. This means that you may need to research and check for suppliers and professionals to help you find tyres that suit your specific needs and requirements.
However, this is likely to change in the future as more companies enter the market and offer more puncture proofing products. That’s why it’s good to know that you can go to independent specialists like Darra Tyres.
Independent tyre shops like Darra Tyres are not exclusively affiliated with any one brand and that means they can choose the best tyre brand and puncture proofing system for your commercial vehicles and needs. They won’t favour one brand over the other. They will favour what’s best for your commercial vehicle, and your budget and your safety.
- Aftermarket Puncture Proofing May Void Your Tyre Warranty - If your commercial tyres come with puncture proofing built into them, no worries. But do note that many tyre manufacturers void the warranties of tyres that have been puncture proofed. They consider puncture proofing to be an aftermarket modification. So, be sure to ask your tyre store about the brand of commercial tyres you want and check its coverage before having any aftermarket puncture proofing work done. That way, you won’t inadvertently void your warranty.
- Puncture proofing effectiveness may vary - The effectiveness of puncture proofing products you use will vary from one product to another. This means that you'll need to do additional research in order to find a product that's right for you and your business needs.
Here’s where partnering with an independent tyre store will be to your advantage. Because they already know the different products and brands, they’ll have the experience and expertise to take care of your needs and requirements—easy.
There are many factors to consider when deciding whether or not to puncture proof your commercial tyres. If you're located anywhere across Australia and would like to talk to the team, visit Darra Tyres. If you have any tyre questions now, contact Darra Tyres today.
Keeping your family and fleet safe on the road,