The most important thing when driving safely in wet weather is the condition of your tyres. The muggy Queensland heat combined with rain can make the roads extremely slippery and dangerous. We have very unpredictable weather in Queensland so you need to make sure your tyres are well looked after so they can look after you when it’s wet! Prepare yourself for the the next wet day with these tyre centre tips.
How often should I check or change my tyres?
You really need to be checking the inflation and physical appearance of your tyres at least every two weeks. If you are unsure how to properly check you tyres for legal tread depth and proper inflation click here to see our article that outlines how.
Tyre Centre Tips – Driving in the wet and how to do it safely…
- Allow extra time. Never rush to your destination, especially in the wet!
- The minimum safe driving distance in good conditions is 3 seconds, so give yourself some extra room when it’s wet in case of the need for emergency braking.
- Brake earlier and with less force. Slamming on the brakes in the wet can make you lose control of the vehicle, it also gives the driver behind you plenty of time to react to your decrease in speed.
- Give yourself some light, even in light rain it can be hard to see in front of you. Let other cars know where you are.
- Keep the rear and front windscreen clear using the air con or de mist option.
- If the rain gets really bad just pull over and wait it out. It’s not worth getting somewhere unless you get there alive.
If you feel like your tyres may not be equipped well enough for the next batch of wet weather then come down to our shop and we will let you know the condition of your tyres, if they’re legal or if they need replacing. If they’re fine then it was only 5 minutes in and out and you can drive away with peace of mind.
Come down at see us at our Darra shop, give us a call on3375 3566 to get expert advice and tyres to keep you and your family or fleet safe.
Keeping your family and fleet safely on the road,
Kevin and Darra Team